Thursday, May 23, 2013

Meet the Maker : Kate Campbell Designs

Open Door......A Pop Up By TWNH
is well and truly open ! 

After a big team effort on Monday, 
our Pop Up Shop is filled with beautiful handmade wares from local makers. 


Today, I'd like to introduce you to one of our Makers.

Kate from Kate Campbell Designs is a local maker of beautiful jewellery.

Tell us a little about your business ?

I am a Melbourne based jeweller with a focus on 'Works in silver re-framing the definition of precious'.
So often I feel that our world reflects as precious values that I don’t understand or that simply don’t resonate with me. Jewellery has so many layers of meaning – wealth, style, culture, relationship and more. The idea of trying to use it to challenge ideas of precious and value really appeals to me.
I love taking everyday things and framing them in silver to redefine them in the viewers eyes, from old copper pipe to knitting and weaving – anything can become precious depending on how you look at it.
Each piece of jewellery is individually designed and crafted. The main body of each work is created using sterling silver. Many of the pieces are forged using hammer and anvil. The beauty of hand forging is that it allows each piece its own form and using ancient techniques to make contemporary jewellery is a juxtaposition that I enjoy. It also plays on my premise – allowing me to make beaten and bent metal something precipious.




How long have you been in business ?
I started in business in August 2012, right after finishing the Make Craft Your Business Course at TWNH.

Who inspires you ?
Women inspire me! Doing the MCYB course and meeting the amazing women, like Deanne Wild, Deanne Wildinvolved in the neighbourhood house and Made 'n Thornbury Craft Market who support and nurture women and their ideas has been life changing for me. It has lead to a whole new career opening up and an ability to have faith in myself and put my works out in the public eye in a way that I never had the confidence for before.



How has TWNH and it’s programs, including Made ‘n Thornbury Craft Market, assisted you in your handmade business journey ?
As I said above, I completed the MCYB course in mid 2012 and my very first commercial venture was at Made 'n Thornbury Craft Market in August 2012. The support i recieved was amazing and it has enabled me to build the confidence and faith in myself to really engage with the idea of making my hobby my career. Being able to explore the idea of starting my own business in a supportive and encouraging environment meant that i was able to move at my own pace, building confidence as i went. The continued support of TWNH and its staff has been invaluable and i really appreciate the opportunities that they have given me.


What are you plans or dreams for your business ?
I am hoping that one day my business will be able to support my family. I am looking into opening an online shop and venturing into coordinating markets to showcase handmade wares.

Thank you for joining us Kate. 

Made n Thornbury Community Market

2 comments:

  1. Absoultely WELL DONE Kate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love your work and wish you all the BEST of luck with your creative adventures ...
    Liz Timpano a.k.a 'CEO' from madebytimpano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Kate! I love seeing the different ways your jewellery-making and business ventures are growing. And I love your work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest in the Made n Thornbury Market